Stay tuned for updates on when on-site Art Programs will resume. We are planning to organize outdoor classes as soon as provincial regulations will allow.
COMMITTED TO KEEPING YOU SAFE
Here is what you can expect when we reopen our facility, and our Art Programs resume:
- Program registration is online, by email or by phone only. Payment will only be collected through debit or credit card.
- Hand sanitizer and disinfectant readily available.
- Increased cleaning and sanitation of studio space, especially high-touch, high-traffic areas.
- All instructors/staff will conduct a self-assessment before coming to work and if they display any symptoms, they must follow public health guidelines and self-isolate.
- Instructors/staff are required to wear appropriate PPE (especially if physical distancing is not possible).
- Appropriate signage to enforce physical distancing.
- Controlled access and entrance to the studio space.
- Class sizes will be reduced to conform to current provincial guidelines.
- Student workstations will be set up at a minimum of 6ft apart. All workstations will have disinfectant wipes for students who wish to sanitize their workspace area.
- All patrons and visitors are expected to follow appropriate self-screening measures before entering the building.
- Instructors will maintain a safe distance while teaching, to respect physical distancing protocols.
Getting Ready to Welcome You Back
Read our “New Protocols and Procedures” digital guide, for a summary of the new safety measures to be implemented for our programs and services, when our on-site operations resume.
ADULT ART CLASSES (AGES 19+)
Stay tuned for updates on when on-site Art Programs will resume. In the meantime, we are happy to share a few Art tutorials so you can continue painting and learning from the comfort of your home.
We offer acrylic and oil painting classes for adults, ages 19 years and up. Classes focus on landscape studies and will explore principles such as tone, colour, form, texture, brush techniques, mixing, contrast and composition. Classes offer an intimate small group setting, which provides for one-on-one instruction, allowing students to fully explore their creative potential.
Instructor: Sam Paonessa is a graduate of the Ontario College of Art and Design (OCAD). Sam began his long and fulfilling career at Hallmark Canada, creating paintings and artwork for a variety of products. Sam has been teaching at the Columbus Centre since 2010.
“Taking Sam’s class has been an amazing experience. His skill as an artist and teacher combined with his sense of humour enables all his students to relax and enjoy the process of discovering their inner artist. Even if you have never painted before, by the end of the session we are always pleasantly surprised with our paintings. I highly recommend this class.”
IMPRESSIONIST PAINTING WORKSHOPS
Stay tuned for updates on when on-site Art Programs will resume. In the meantime, we are happy to share this introductory level Art tutorial so you can continue painting and learning from the comfort of your home.
These painting workshops are an excellent option for those looking to try their hand at impressionist painting. Beginners can follow easy step-by-step demonstrations by the instructor while more experienced students are encouraged to express themselves at their own pace. At the end of each workshop, you will take home a beautifully painted canvas.
Instructor: Alicia Chen is an artist, art educator, young business entrepreneur and curator. She is a graduate of The University of British Columbia majoring in Visual Arts and minoring in Art History. She has exhibited her artwork in Vancouver, Toronto and Taipei.
CHILDREN’S PAINTING & DRAWING (AGES 6-14 YEARS)
Our children’s painting and drawing classes focus on fostering creative confidence and explore a variety of mediums such as acrylic and watercolour painting, charcoal, conte and graphite drawing. Through different materials and styles, students will learn tonal value, perspective, portraiture and still life, along with both fundamental and expressive drawing and painting techniques to create well rounded and creative projects.
Projects and materials are presented in small groups, students receive detailed step-by-step instructions to get started. From there, students work at their own pace to complete their projects with the instructor at hand to guide and support them.
Students are guided on watercolour, acrylic painting, drawing, and sculpting techniques accompanied by famous artists’ stories. Professional art supplies are included.
Instructor: Alicia Chen is an artist, art educator, young business entrepreneur and curator. She is a graduate of the University of British Columbia majoring in Visual Arts and minoring in Art History. She has exhibited her work in Vancouver, Toronto and Taipei.
For more information, or to inquire further, please contact:
Arts & Culture Coordinator
Tel: 416-789- 7011 Ext. 248
901 Lawrence Ave. West
Toronto, ON M6A 1C3