Villa Colombo Vaughan
COVID-19 UPDATE – October 13, 2020
Dear Residents, Families and Staff:
The home continues to remain in outbreak at this time. On October 10th, we were made aware by Public Health that one of our housekeeping staff, who works in Casa DeGasperis tested positive for COVID-19 on October 5th during one of our enhanced staff testing clinics. At this time the staff presents asymptomatic and has been directed to self isolate. We are working closely with Public Health on this matter. All residents remain on droplet contact precaution. As of today, we do not have any reported residents who exhibit any symptoms, and no pending results. As of this evening, Public Health has directed us to have all residents in Casa DeGasperis, including those who have already tested positive for COVID-19 swabbed this evening. We will be advising the POA’s of the results once received.
Current # of COVID-19 positive residents for the entire facility: 0
Number of Resolved COVID-19 positive residents: 1
Current # of COVID-19 positive staff/student for the entire facility: 1
Number of Resolved COVID-19 positive staff/student: 2
Only approved Essential Visitors are permitted at this time. All staff and essential visitors are required to wear full PPE when providing care to residents on isolation. All other staff and essential visitors are required to wear a mask and face shield while in the home.
Reminders to all Essential Visitors, IPAC protocols are essential to prevent the spread of infection. When visiting your loved ones, please ensure you are adhering the homes policies:
- Active screening upon entering and exiting the building
- Visits are permitted in the resident room ONLY, unless otherwise instructed
- Only (1) current designated essential visitors will be permitted to visit their loved one
- Following physical distancing at all times
- Ensure proper hand hygiene
- Appropriate PPE is worn appropriately at all times
- A COVID-19 negative test result is required every 14 days
- Please note that the screener will not be permitted to make any exceptions to the visiting policies
Just a follow-up to the initial email sent on October 8th, about the upcoming Influenza program and consent forms. Please ensure you have read, signed and returned your forms stating that you have consented for your loved one (resident) to receive the flu shot. We have received our supply of vaccines and will be providing a ‘Flu Clinic’ for Residents on October 21st.
We continue to provide staff with education and information regarding best practices for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and taking the following precautions:
- Increase cleaning of high-touch surfaces such handrails, furniture on all areas
- Close monitoring of all residents for symptoms, including taking temperatures 3 times per day and completing an active screening twice a day (days and evenings)
- We are actively screening all staff (twice a day) for symptoms (including taking temperatures) before they start their shifts and a second time before they leave
- Within the home and where possible, co-horting of staff to specific residents’ areas
- Staff are permitted to work in ONLY one health care setting
- We provide enhanced staff COVID-19 testing every two weeks
- Following social distancing for our residents and staff
- Limiting items coming into the home and providing all laundry services to all residents
- Promoting proper hand washing and IPAC protocols
Our recreation team continue to provide Residents with the opportunity to connect with family and friends. Please contact Jessica Fabbrovcvprogmanager@universalcareinc.ca to arrange balcony visits (2nd floor only) and window visits (1st floor only). Note the changes to the video/facetime schedule: Monday – Casa Melatti; Tuesday – Casa Guglietti; Wed – Casa DeGasperis; Thursday – Casa Ciccolini; Friday – Casa G&G; and Tuesday & Thursday – Casa Bratty.
As well, recreational programming has resumed in all Casa’s areas with small group programs, 1:1 programming while ensuring social distancing precautions at all times.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact any of the following individuals:
- Liza Reantaso – Acting Administrator – VCVDoc@universalcareinc.ca
- Sherly Kangappaden – Acting Director of Care – VCVAssistDOC@universalcareinc.ca
- Inderpreet Hundal – VCVADOC2@universalcareinc.ca
- Amalia Aiello – Director of Programs and Social Services – email@example.com
- Jessica Fabbro – Programs Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joseph Abule – Physiotherapist – VCVPhysio@universalcareinc.ca
- Gurpreet Pannu- Dietary Manager – email@example.com
- VCV Dietitian – VCVDietician@universalcareinc.ca
- Heather Barrow – VCVSupportCoord@universalcareinc.ca
- Vidya Isha Arora – firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your patience during this difficult time. The safety and well-being of our residents, staff and their families have always been our top priority.
For all past updates, please visit our COVID-19 Updates page.
Our beautiful 16-acre northern campus in quiet Kleinburg, Ontario, is home to 160 of our community’s seniors. The living accommodations are comprised of six separate casas scattered over the expansive property, each housing up to 30 residents who share a living room, dining room, and bathing spa, to create a social and welcoming atmosphere. Our residents’ private rooms for retreating and visiting are also well-equipped and are of the highest-quality and comfort.
Upgrades such as heated floors, plasma TVs in resident’s rooms, our Piazza De Gasperis, or “town square,” a new reflective pool, bocce court, and chapel, make Villa Colombo Vaughan more than just a facility. It’s a home to 160 residents.
For more information, or to inquire further about our services, please contact:
Villa Colombo Vaughan
Di Poce Centre, 10443 Hwy. 27
Tel: 289-202- 2222
Fax: 289-202- 2000
Acting Administrator: Liza Reantaso
Villa Colombo Vaughan
Tel: 289-202-2222 ext. 316
President/CEO: Joseph Gulizia
UniversalCare Canada Inc.
Tel: 416-708- 9301
Professionally Managed by UniversalCare Canada Inc. www.universalcareinc.ca