Villa Colombo Vaughan
COVID-19 UPDATE – October 20, 2020
Dear Residents, Families and Staff:
Although Public Health continues to declare the home in an outbreak state, we are pleased to inform you that we do not have any active cases of COVID-19 in the home. Last week we informed you that Public Health had advised us to swab all staff and residents in Casa DeGasperis due to a staff testing positive during our routine enhanced testing clinic. To date, we have received negative test results for all those tested, staff and residents. Residents in the home will remain on droplet contact precaution, as we continue to work with Public Health. All staff and essential caregivers are required to wear a mask and face shield while in the home, and full PPE when providing care to residents on isolation.
Last week we held our enhanced testing clinic for staff (entire facility), we received negative results.
Current # of COVID-19 positive residents for the entire facility: 0
Number of Resolved COVID-19 positive residents: 1
Current # of COVID-19 positive staff/student for the entire facility: 0
Number of Resolved COVID-19 positive staff/student: 3
The Region of York has been identified as a public health unit with higher COVID-19 community spread, therefore as of October 19th residents in long-term care homes located in York Region are subject to the same restrictions as the previously identified areas with higher community spread of COVID-19. Residents are not permitted to leave on an absence except for medical or compassionate reasons. General visitors are not permitted. A maximum of one essential caregiver per resident may visit at a time, subject to direction from the local public health unit.
Reminder to all Essential Caregivers, IPAC protocols are essential to prevent the spread of infection. When visiting your loved ones, please ensure you are adhering the homes policies. A COVID-19 negative test result is required every 14 days and active screening upon entering and exiting the building.
As mentioned in previous newsletters all essential visitors are required to participate in an educational session to ensure infection control practices are adhered too as per the MOH LTC Directive #3. Heather Barrow, at email@example.com will be responsible for scheduling the training. Note that all training MUST be completed prior to your first visit and following monthly refreshers. You will be contacted by Heather to ensure you have completed or to arrange a scheduled training date in the coming weeks.
We continue to provide staff with education and information regarding best practices for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and taking the following precautions:
- Increase cleaning of high-touch surfaces such handrails, furniture on all areas
- Close monitoring of all residents for symptoms, including taking temperatures 3 times per day and completing an active screening twice a day (days and evenings)
- We are actively screening all staff (twice a day) for symptoms (including taking temperatures) before they start their shifts and a second time before they leave
- Within the home and where possible, co-horting of staff to specific residents’ areas
- Staff are permitted to work in ONLY one health care setting
- We provide enhanced staff COVID-19 testing every two weeks
- Following social distancing for our residents and staff
- Limiting items coming into the home and providing all laundry services to all residents
- Promoting proper hand washing and IPAC protocols
Reminder to POA’s that we are hosting our Resident Flu Clinic tomorrow October 21st, if you have not returned your signed consent form please do so.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact any of the following individuals:
- Liza Reantaso – Acting Administrator – VCVDoc@universalcareinc.ca
- Sherly Kangappaden – Acting Director of Care – VCVAssistDOC@universalcareinc.ca
- Inderpreet Hundal – VCVADOC2@universalcareinc.ca
- Amalia Aiello – Director of Programs and Social Services – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jessica Fabbro – Programs Manager – email@example.com
- Joseph Abule – Physiotherapist –VCVPhysio@universalcareinc.ca
- Gurpreet Pannu- Dietary Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org
- VCV Dietitian – VCVDietician@universalcareinc.ca
- Heather Barrow – VCVSupportCoord@universalcareinc.ca
- Vidya Isha Arora – email@example.com
Thank you for your patience during this difficult time. The safety and well-being of our residents, staff and their families have always been our top priority.
For all past updates, please visit our COVID-19 Updates page.
Our beautiful 16-acre northern campus in quiet Kleinburg, Ontario, is home to 160 of our community’s seniors. The living accommodations are comprised of six separate casas scattered over the expansive property, each housing up to 30 residents who share a living room, dining room, and bathing spa, to create a social and welcoming atmosphere. Our residents’ private rooms for retreating and visiting are also well-equipped and are of the highest-quality and comfort.
Upgrades such as heated floors, plasma TVs in resident’s rooms, our Piazza De Gasperis, or “town square,” a new reflective pool, bocce court, and chapel, make Villa Colombo Vaughan more than just a facility. It’s a home to 160 residents.
For more information, or to inquire further about our services, please contact:
Villa Colombo Vaughan
Di Poce Centre, 10443 Hwy. 27
Tel: 289-202- 2222
Fax: 289-202- 2000
Acting Administrator: Liza Reantaso
Villa Colombo Vaughan
Tel: 289-202-2222 ext. 316
President/CEO: Joseph Gulizia
UniversalCare Canada Inc.
Tel: 416-708- 9301
Professionally Managed by UniversalCare Canada Inc. www.universalcareinc.ca